Arbitration board issues LRTA award
The Louis Riel arbitration board recently issued a unanimous award to the Louis Riel Teachers’ Association. The outcome of the award is as follows:
- Effective period: 2 years, July 1, 2018 through to June 30, 2020.
- Salaries and allowances: 1.6 per cent effective July 1, 2018 and 1.4 per cent effective July 1, 2019.
- Restrictions on the use of term contracts inserted into the Collective Agreement; can only be used to (1) replace teachers on approved leave or (2) to replace teachers who terminate employment during the school year due to unforeseen circumstances or (3) to supplement classroom resources for a period of less than three (3) months.
- Administration of the PPDF transferred from LRSD to LRTA effective June 30, 2020.
- Minor change to sick leave article; specifically, if possible, teachers are now expected to make reasonable efforts to schedule medical appointments outside school hours. If not possible, they will still be able to access sick leave to attend the medical appointment, but should make reasonable efforts to minimize their time away from school.
MTS and LRTA are reviewing the decision with a view to determining its implications for the next round of bargaining between the parties.