Empowering Students to Make Change!
Want to do more for the people in your community? Could you and your students create something unique that would make a real difference for those affected by poverty, racism or one of countless other social justice issues?
Yes, you can make that difference with a Manitoba Teachers’ Society Youth Service Grant (YSG) of up to $1,000. It’s our way to help you empower students to make change and develop socially conscious young leaders.
Each grant is approved and funded by the Society and can be focused on racism, poverty, the environment, 2SLGBTQIA+ issues or a social justice issue of your choice. It can dovetail perfectly with your youth in philanthropy, community and social activism student groups.
You can keep us – and your colleagues across the province – updated by social media posts along the way.
- is focussed on anti-racism, anti-poverty or a social justice issue of your choice,
- has a quick turnaround (a maximum of 90 days),
- incorporates a service component,
- directly benefits your community, and
- is not affiliated with any political party.
To be eligible the project must:
- be led and created by K-12 youth from any public school in Manitoba – under the guidance of their teacher(s),
- be self-initiated,
- start and finish in 90 days or fewer,
- have a positive impact on the community,
- have a service component or activity,
- be documented with reasonable frequency on social media,
- be summarized in a final report within 15 days of project completion – with receipts from all purchases, and
- be carried out safely by following all Manitoba public health guidelines and policies specific to your school division.
The project cannot:
- solely be a fundraiser or generate profit for the students hosting the project or an organization,
- charge a fee/ticket or request mandatory donations to access the project,
- pay an honorarium to youth or their family members or the core volunteer team,
- be affiliated with a political party (all projects must be non-partisan),
- use funds to cover purchase prior to project approval.
- identify an issue, propose a solution and implement with their communities,
- donate any equipment bought for use during the project to your school or a community organization after the project is finished,
- submit a mandatory report, including expense receipts to The Manitoba Teachers’ Society within 15 days of completing your project.
Note: Grant funds will only be released upon receipt of report and receipts.
NOTE: All funds for MTS YSGs will flow directly to supervising teachers.