Labour Relations & Leadership
Participants will explore a range of labour relations topics while developing leadership and facilitation skills. Each session will provide offerings on behalf of the Teacher Welfare and Professional and French Language Services departments. Participants will examine current initiatives developed by unions to engage the 21st century member and address working conditions for the current labour force.
- Current position
- Reason for applying
- Area(s) of interest/experience
- Name, MTS number, and contact information
- Teaching and leadership experience (this does not have to be in formal positions)
- Recent professional development, academic credentials/other certifications or highlights
- School/Community/Local/MTS activities, committees, etc…
Two Letters of Recommendation
- One of which should be someone in a leadership position that speaks to your knowledge, skills, and abilities (see below, Criteria for Candidates)
- Advise your principal and/or superintendent and your Local President that you are applying to MTS Labour School
- Submit your application by Thursday April 30, 2022 @ 4:00 p.m.
- Shortlisted applicants will be contacted to schedule an interview
- Successful candidates will be notified by June 2022
Criteria for Candidates – Who Should Apply?
- Active MTS members in good standing
- Members who have demonstrated leadership skills
- Individuals who are active in social and economic justice in their community
- Consideration is given to the appointment of people in such a manner as to reflect the diversity of Manitoba’s population. We encourage all qualified individuals to apply.
Topics for Sessions
- Leadership styles
- Communication and mediation skills
- Labour relations – fundamentals of labour relations and Canadian labour policy
- Collective bargaining and negotiation skills
- Governance, laws and policies
- Equity, outreach, advocacy and activism
Please send your cover letter of interest, resume, and letters of recommendation to:
Andrea Zaroda/Sherry Jones
The Manitoba Teachers’ Society
191 Harcourt Street
Winnipeg, MB, R3J 3H2