Hutterite Educators of Manitoba
ADHD: Causes, Symptoms, Challenges and Solutions for Home and School
McMaster House Auditorium – 191 Harcourt Street
Registration : 8:30am
Session: 9:00-12:00, 1:00-3:30
TEACHER’S WORKSHOP ON ADHD
with Rick Green CM, OOnt, BSc
After earning a BSC. in Physics, Rick began creating public programs for the Ontario Science Centre. In 1979, he became a full-time comedian, writing and performing in 700 episodes of television and radio.
After being diagnosed with ADHD, Rick produced two outstanding documentaries on adult Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD/ADD): ADD & Loving It?! and ADD & Mastering It! He also founded the groundbreaking website TotallyADD.com, which has helped millions of people around the world.
ADD & Loving It?! became a runaway hit on PBS earning critical acclaim, a New York Festivals award for Best Medical Documentary, and kudos from educators, coaches, doctors, and adults affected by Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder.
Since then, Rick has interviewed over 75 of the world’s leading ADHD experts, and produced videos on every aspect of ADHD.
A frequent public speaker and advocate for adults with ADHD, Rick has been honored as one of the University of Waterloo’s Top 50 Science Graduates, has received the CAMH Foundation’s Celebrity Transforming Lives Award, and the prestigious Order of Ontario. Recently he was proud to be appointed to The Order of Canada.
1) 9:00 AM – Welcome – Outline the day
2) My story – how did a comedian become an advocate for ADHD?
3) What is going on in the ADHD brain? A quick look at the neurology and
neurochemistry of ADHD.
! How this shows up in a child’s behavior.
4) The History of the Diagnosis (From a Moral Failing to a highly heritable
5) Five persistent and pernicious myths that still stigmatize this disorder, and
how to quickly demolish them with common sense questions.
6) 10:00 AM – A dozen common traits or behaviours
7) The reasons behind the dramatic increase in ADHD diagnosis
8) The two main subtypes – Boys vs Girls
9) Other Disorders that often accompany ADHD
! Learning Disorders
! Tourette Syndrome
! Depression and/or Anxiety
! Oppositional Defiant Disorder
10) The costs of undiagnosed and untreated ADHD on kids (Self-esteem,
being expelled, failing, no friends, frequent accidents)
11) Question and Answer Session
12) 10:30 – BREAK
13) 10:45 How It’s Diagnosed
14) Signs to look for in the classroom and on the playground
15) ADHD is not willful behavior – Why compassion is crucial
16) Emotional and Physical oversensitivity
17) Kids with ADHD will self-medicate – The risk of addiction
18) ADHD is very ‘situational’ – modify the situation and everything changes
19) A dozen potential strengths of kids with ADHD
20) Question & Answer session
21) 12:00 pm – LUNCH
22) 1:00 pm – Holistic Strategies That Help:
! Frequent feedback
! Clear, direct communication – Written instructions
! Chunking up big tasks
! A Coach or Mentor
! Transition time
23) 5 things you can do in the classroom to level the playing field
24) 5 things to avoid in the classroom. (Or at home.)
25) Dealing with Parents or Caregivers who “don’t believe ADHD is real.”
26) Supporting Parents and Caregivers with Homework and Paperwork
27) Explaining ADHD to children who have it, their siblings, and classmates
28) Problems with Sleep
29) 2:00 pm – BREAK
30) 2:15 pm – Diet and Supplements
31) Medication – Why the controversy?
32) What medication does and doesn’t do. Side effects.
33) The future of ADHD – What the latest research suggests
34) Fields where people with ADHD often soar
35) Famous people who have ADHD
36) Review & Summarize
37) 2:45 Final Question and Answer Session
38) 3:00 Wrap up
Registration opens June 6
Or register by snail mail to:
Box 130 R0G2M0
Conference Information: Sarah Blair, email@example.com
Registration Information: Jonathan Waldner, firstname.lastname@example.org
Conference Fee: $99
Membership Fee*: $20
Membership* + Conference Fee: $100
Early Bird with cut-off dates (if applicable):
Other*: There will be a $20 surcharge fee for walkups.
*Lunch is provided to members only